Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I am an artist

And my life is my masterpiece. God gave me my paintbrush and infinite colours. Sure, He has ultimate control over everything, but He decided to give me power over my own life. I have the freedom of choice, and I shape my world with my thoughts.

Every day I wake up thankful for my mind. I am determined to stand guard at its entrance, refusing entry to those polluting negative thoughts that try their best to squeeze their way through. I may not have control over other people and the way they treat me, I may not have control over the traffic and the weather, over world leaders' decisions and wars, over global trends and social mindsets, but I do have total possession of my mind, and I know that I owe it to God and to myself to use my thought-filter to fulfill the purpose of my existence.

I don't know how much time I have but I do know it isn't much. I also know I never want to make the mistake of wasting my limited time giving thought to things that don't matter instead of focusing on those that do. Wasting time worrying about the future or about peoples' opinions or about past mistakes and regrets and pain.

I can grieve because roses have thorns, or celebrate because thorns have roses. The seemingly-unfortunate events that happen to me don't come to me labeled. It is I who will define whether it's a tragedy or an opportunity waiting to be noticed.

Happiness is a choice. :)

7 comments:

  1. I wrote something similar about happiness. Wait, looking for it.

    Here.

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/2010/08/happiness.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true that at moments of depression we experience really intense and profound levels of emotion that produces great art if directed. But people don't realize you can have the same energy level of positive emotion and get the same results! Also, I feel there is something very contagious in any kind of work. You can feel the sadness of a painting that was painted at a moment of depression. I think it's selfish to want to transfer your depressive thoughts to the world. People want, and deserve to be happy.

    Thanks for sharing your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifuly written mashallah and oh so true...it seems like this post has come at the perfect time for me =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well-Written!

    I agree that happiness is a choice.

    Your post makes me think of Rumi's poem the guesthouse

    http://www.panhala.net/Archive/The_Guest_House.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Parisa! I've never read The Guest House; it was very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And we apply it in our lives with prayer clothes :p

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *