Sunday, September 4, 2011

From the Holy Cube: the centre of the universe

Pinch me! Is this really happening?

Nothing, absolutely nothing, that anyone said, that any picture showed me, could have prepared me for this. I'm frozen here, on the second floor of the Sacred Mosque, looking right at her. The Ka'ba that has been my direction for each prayer, every day of my life. She stares back, modestly covered in black silk, wrapping the millions of white dots circulating around her with warmth and radiance. The buzz of the millions of whispered and not-so-whispered requests fill my ears, bringing me back to earth and reminding me to take this chance, but I really don't want to think or do anything right now. Let me just stand here and stare at this phenomena forever, please. Oh why must you blink every few seconds? Don't you realize these are missed glances?

She's the oldest house alive to date. Started by the first human being, Adam, she's stood there ever since, witnessing history happening around her. This is where Ibrahim and Isma'il stood together and stood her up, brick by brick. This is where they raised their hands to the sky and prayed. The prayer that was answered then and is still being answered.

-We made the House a place of assembly for people and a place of safety; and take you the station of Abraham as a place of prayer; and We covenanted with Abraham and Isma'il, that they should sanctify My House for those who compass it round, or use it as a retreat, or bow, or prostrate themselves.
-And remember Abraham said: "My Lord, make this a City of Peace, and feed its people with fruits,-such of them as believe in God and the Last Day." He said: "Yes, and for such as reject Faith,-for a while will I grant them their pleasure, but will soon drive them to torment"
-And mention Abraham and Isma'il raised the foundations of the House: "Our Lord! Accept this service from us: For You are the All-Hearing, the All-knowing. (2:125-7)

This is where Muhammad began his quest, and this is where he ended it. And right inside this box, here is where his cousin and successor Ali was born. And here, here is where the Mahdi will arise one day, the savior of all mankind, the one who will bring peace and justice to the globe.

Pinch me again! Am I really so close to where all of this happened?

She's the center of the universe, literally and figuratively. As I stand fixed here, still awe-struck, it hits me how she hasn't been left alone for a single moment since her birth. For over a thousand years, the flow around her has been uninterrupted. She welcomes all the assorted produce of this earth: from babies to the aged, from the healthy to the handicapped, from the whitest to the darkest and from the richest to the poorest. Those not around here are still praising God in her direction, from wherever they are, five times a day. The House of God.

8 comments:

  1. alif alif mabrook!!!!
    More importantly, you used 'she' you feminist ;)

    Inshallah the coming year blesses you more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post - It is like being there with you and feeling what you feel . Be blessed for such an inspiring account.
    Stay well always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both!

    Touta, :P grammatically-speaking, "Ka'aba" is a female word in Arabic, and also I felt feminine vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so beautifully written :) well , i didnt know that it is a female word :) The feminine gender makes it look all the more beautiful :)
    JazakAllah khair :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. how do we pronounce your name ? ? Yana ? ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops :p am very sorry. Saw ju nah nah just now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jalparl!
    Yes, it's not really my name :P just a username

    ReplyDelete
  8. Assalamualaikum

    Thanks for sharing
    Lovely post

    Umi

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *