Thursday, August 2, 2012

Up all night, the nation of the day

It was the second of August 1990, twenty two years ago, when the peaceful little country of Kuwait turned into a battlefield overnight.

I hadn't yet come into this world. Only snippets from here and there complete the story for me: the irony of my mother's family escaping their country's dictator, only to find one fine morning's skies announcing his arrival at their new place- my Kuwaiti relatives on one side facing their new upturned world with grace- my Iraqi relatives on the other side watching truck after truck of stolen Kuwaiti items entering their country. 

Burnt buildings, innocent dead bodies, stolen homes, Saddam's men everywhere. And a people refusing to give up their home. Doing whatever they can to keep their world intact- even if it meant having to collect their own garbage from the street after a lifetime of others doing the dirty work for them.

Is anyone watching the drama Saher el Leil, Watan el Nahar? "It contains great offense for us Iraqis" said my dermatologist today morning with a tight face. Only if you want a tyrannical regime like that to represent your nation! "Lots of exaggerations" replies my dad. More like- an understatement. We Iraqis know more than any other victims the extent that the inhumane can reach. 

No matter how many years pass by, we must never forget their martyrs. Not to breed hatred, nor to block reconciliation, but as a tribute to those who stood up in the face of oppression, and as a reminder that bravery always pays off in the end. 

Pictures of the Kuwaiti martyrs- by Dhirar al- Fadhala

7 comments:

  1. It's time to forget dear and to take a fresh start ,
    Thousands of Iraqi people gone with the wind , and no one even did any thing ...

    الله يرحم الجميع ... ويتوب عنهم
    الشعب العراقي ضحية قبل كونه متعدي

    وشكرا

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't often think of the people - - the real people who live in countries of conflict. The people who feel the pain and fear of war and repression. Thank you for the reminder to stop and think of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only heard a little about the conflict, but thanks for opening my eyes. More importantly, from a second-first-hand experience, I feel I can empathise better. I donno, sometimes when I hear about war and stuff in distant lands, I just feel numb to it. I mean, here, on this Western news, we don't know what's real and what's not, what's propaganda, etc, so I don't know what to feel and I try to avoid feeling because I get scared that I'd be empathising with the 'wrong' side....

    ... I think I lost my point, but yes, I shalt remember ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can I forget about it, I mean even though I was not in this world but my Dad used to work in Kuwait and he had to evacuate s Kuwait was attacked. My Dad told me that was a really hard time for him as when he came back to Pakistan he had nothing to support his family and then he made a wise decision of moving to Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neither of my family members have experienced the attack on Kuwait first-hand, but baba was in Dubai working in an oil-field company at the time. It took a direct hit and work went down rapidly, and some people from the Kuwaiti and Iraqi franchises were called over till the situation were to settle down. They talked of their plight and hearing baba tell it is heart wrenching.

    And it's not just Kuwait and Iraq that have undergone such brutality. What's happening in Syria is simply blood-curdling. Yemenis are dying of starvation and thirst everyday and have been displaced in their own land. Sudanese are fighting amongst themselves. Basically the political situation in much of the Islamic world is utterly bloody...the killings, bombings and drone strikes that take place in my country being no exception.
    And all for what? Just satiating the hunger for ever greater power!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. It's sad, as a Middle Easterner, to see that war has affected so many of us. I hope that one day we'll be better and live in peace with ourselves and others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. its sad .
    and i hope peace will embrace the whole world one day . not even a single evil stuff

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *