Sunday, October 7, 2012

Life tips from a lady pilot

Have you ever been to a TED talk? They're events where you listen to passionate speech after passionate speech for eight hours, and by the time it's over you are so soaked in drive and ambition and positivism to the point that it's surprising when you must carry on mundane activities such as actually having to use your two feet and walk instead of being able to fly through sheer will.

Captain Aysha 
A week ago I attended one of those intense TED events and the opening inspirer for the day was Aysha al Hamli, an Emirati pilot. A woman pilot. The first from her country. She stood there in her traditional abaya and sheila and told us her story. How she decided to be a pilot when she was a kid, and how she simply pushed aside all the 'but's and 'if's and the 'what will be the people say?''s when the time came to realise her dream.

Then she shared lessons learned from her world of flying:
That you don't just hop on a plane and expect to get anywhere: you've got to plan ahead.
That you always need to know in which direction you're headed.
To know better than to expect appreciation from the safely-seated passengers at the back for going through turbulent times alone in the cockpit
To recognize that a journey never goes back to Point Zero
And to always remember to make a Plan B, but not be disappointed when God puts a Plan Z in your way- it may be your best plan yet. 

17 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post! Thank you!

    "To recognize that a journey never goes back to Point Zero
    And to always remember to make a Plan B, but not be disappointed when God puts a Plan Z in your way- it may be your best plan yet."

    I remember reading a quote somewhere once that went along the lines of, if plan A fails, and so does plan B, don't worry, there's the whole of the alphabet to go.

    When this talk comes available on the TED website, I'll be sure to listen.

    Hope you've had a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new background! Oh I spent a day watching TED talks where I shouldve been studying for exams ... I was so driven by motivation but the next day I was like "merp."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of these. TED talks. Sounds like fun.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can read more about them here: http://www.ted.com/
      Maybe attend one close to where you live :)

      Delete
  4. TED talks are amazing! I would reward myself one TED video for a productive day while in uni - it got me through my program! I completely understand the high concentration of motivation and ambition by the time you're done with watching the awesome speakers.
    Thank you for writing about this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Motivational post. And TED talks are doing good job... :)
    Visit--> A Happier Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a motivational post :) I am really impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of TED talks, but they sound awesome. Any details? Who where when? Do they happen in Australia?

    Awesome post indeed. Did you know being a pilot was one of my ambitions too? (I had many.) But I didn't want to be on the move all the time.. I like being settled. I was thinking of it being a hobby.... but being a pilot on the 'side' is rather difficult o.O And expensive.

    But thanks for sharing this, it's amazing and I'm proud to know of her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a pilot on the side is pretty challenging.

      They happen all over! More details here: http://www.ted.com/ You can look for the closest talk.

      Delete
  8. I've never been to a TED talk. Will have to check it out. Loved the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, it is important to be positive. I'm glad you had a great time at TED.

    http://dusana-attracthappiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Motivational!
    I've never been to e TED talk, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She sounds like an impressive person!

    Going to a TED talk must have been a really interesting experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Ted talks, I visit the site all the time, I'd love to be at one in person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a very beutiful post! Thank you for visiting me and commenting. I will add you to my blog roll. I don't want to lose you again.
    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a fan of Ted talks and this post is so true and so motivational !

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *