Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Sun on the Day of Ashura



How did I withstand the scene?

A ten-month old baby, in piercing arrows decorated
Mothers in agony; the loyal brother's arms
from his body separated;

And the army of a Muslim Leader, self-placed
Demanding approval
When the term Human they disgraced

How can I ever forget?

The day I shone over a peaceful body, lying on sand ablaze
Tongue scorched, heart broken.
The day his pain I caused to raise

Why must I be the sun?

Adding to his thirst and ache
Watching high above, a full view, helpless
Burning with grief in his wake

What was in my hands?

I tried.
I prayed that my tear-drops would fall to you as rain
Over your dry lips
Quench some thirst before you had to be slain

How could I bear it be?

I tried.
There was nothing I could do
Not yet time for me to set, nor time for night to pull through

I looked left and right, seeking a cloud to cover me
To not have to watch your slaughter
To stop the world from having to see

I will always recall

And at the close of every day as I withdraw
I think of you and shed
Tears blood-red.

________________________________________________________________________________



On the 680 Tragedy of Karbala 

Inspired by the eulogy شمس recited by باسم الكربلائي

7 comments:

  1. I know this is random, but are you/your parents Iraqi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes (Thought you knew that from some of my patriotic posts!)

      Delete
    2. I looked left and right, seeking a cloud to cover me
      To not have to watch your slaughter
      To stop the world from having to see

      ^Those were truly painful words! You ended the poem so perfectly. Makes me also think of the red sunset as a tribute to Imam Hussain (AS).

      JazakAllah Ghadeer. Do share more.

      Sahar

      Delete
  2. While reading the poem I though about Hussain (AS) but wasen't sure, but now, as I read the coments above now I know I'm sure.

    Anyway, beautiful poeam and I like the way you write :D

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *