Monday, December 24, 2012

"I knew nothing but shadows, and thought them to be real."

Dorian Gray has just come back from breaking a heart. He takes off his coat, rubs his eyes sleepily and casts a lazy glance around the room before doubling back. Slowly, he walks closer to his portrait- the one his friend Basil has created with all the love imaginable- the one he has decided to burden with age and sin on behalf of his person. Lines of cruelty have magically appeared around the painted lips.

I wonder how different you'd see my face, if every wrong deed left behind its trace. And I wonder, would I be able to stand straight before a mirror, look right into my eyes? Without the luxury of any disguise?

_______________________________________________________________________________

Dorian Gray is several years older and crueler. Only the picture in the room can testify to this. And a loving friend who looks at his cursed creation in horror. Then before he has the time to get over it- the sudden plunge of a knife, a stifled groan. A calm Dorian steps out on the balcony to watch the city.

I wonder if Oscar Wilde was suggesting, that the prospect of eternal beauty is the real testing. And I wonder, at what point a heart dies? Becomes indifferent to conscience's cries?


"The Picture of Dorain Gray"
Read it!





7 comments:

  1. ONE DAY.
    I will read it.

    I wonder how different you'd see my face, if every wrong deed left behind its trace. And I wonder, would I be able to stand straight before a mirror, look right into my eyes? Without the luxury of any disguise?

    Terrifying prospect indeed O_O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghadeer Ghadeer that was lovely indeed,how much does, at the thought of death and sorrow,one's heart bleed?
    Yech..awful attempt.Forgive me G for defacing your picture-perfect(pun!) blog with this kind of nonsense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, that novel is just haunting. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read The Picture of Dorian Gray earlier in the year. It's a fascinating story--it was great to read your thoughts on the questions it raises.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! As always beautifully written :). I love his Quotes this one's my favourite :)

    "Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.”
    ― Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be liberating at first, then slightly disconcerting, but when the true horrors of our intended and intended action sinks in, we will cringe at the prospect of walking around with our masks removed. We draw a line in the sands, and keep pushing the line backwards - otherwise the sound of the cries of our conscience would have turned us deaf, a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read it 2 years ago.
    A friend rec.ed it, I didn`t like it at first but for sure a great read!

    A soul/heart can die, I guess that was a central message.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *