Thursday, April 4, 2013

Day D: Dolma, and a pinch of wisdom

This April, I will be participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge, writing about the A to Z of Iraqi Culture. Do give in your own two cents in the comments below and let me know if you have anything to add or something similar to share from your own culture.

_________________________________________________________________________________

One of the meals on the table during The Last Supper that descended from heaven must have been a dish of Dolma, cooked Iraqi-style!

Dolma, a collection of stuffed vegetables soaked in olive oil and lemon, is not unique to Iraq. What distinguishes the Iraqi dolma from other versions is the pomegranate juice that the stuffing is cooked in, and the tomato-sauce it is served in.

Source- Stuffed vine leaves, zucchini, eggplants, onions and bell peppers. Yum!   
_______________________________________________________________________________

Iraqis have had their massive share of misfortunes in life. This has made them a very wise lot, and a typical conversation in Iraq will always have a proverb or two thrown in there for good measure. Here are some of my favourite ones:

  شين التعرفة احسن من زين المتعرفة
The known ugly is better than the unknown beauty
المبلل ميخاف من المطر
A wet person's never afraid of the rain 
المينوش العنب يكول حامض
He calls the grapes sour when he can't reach them
جدرة على نارة وعينة على جارة
Pot on his stove and an eye on his neighbour
نست مرة العم جانت جنة
The mother-in-law forgot she was a daughter-in-law one day
كلمن بعقلة راضي لكن برزقة لا
Everyone's content with their mind, nobody with their wealth
هم مدت الخنفسانه رجلها و كالت نعلوني
Even the cockroach stuck out her leg and said 'Put my sandal on'      

__________________________________________________________________________________

18 comments:

  1. Those proverbs are interesting, I particularly like the mother-in-law one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a vegie fan, but the presentation of that dish looks... scrumptious. I'm actually curious to try it - though I probably wouldn't go out of my way to find it ^_^

    And those proverbs are lovely ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your favorite proverbs. Good Post, looks good enough to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the proverbs and I would try the Dolma, if only for the pomegranate they are steeped in, yum.
    Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just loveeeee the proverbs and I want to try this foood <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks SOOO yum!! Specially the olive oil and lemons part!! Got me salivating!! I'm definitely gonna try this one at home!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious and interesting proverbs, the cockroach one is definitely interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fav from the quotes:
    He calls the grapes sour when he can't reach them

    So true for Pakistani people!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, your blog looks amazing and interesting. I am an editor of a digital magazine about Everything Iraqi called shakomako.net and we want to connect with you. Please send us your details to shakomako@gmail.com thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, Iraq did have sad and unfortunate times. There was a time, when back home people used to proudly talk about "Baghdad Shareef" and the saints that people could visit.
    Dolma looks interesting. Thank you for sharing. It is always nice to know that other cultures are poised and well presenting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I am visiting the A-Z list. Looks like you are off to a good start. I read A-D very interesting the only food I was familiar with was the backlava. Thanks for sharing the Iraqi culture with us.
    Oh and I changed my blog settings so I would stop getting the generally mindless anonymous comments.
    Looks like you are getting a lot of them.

    Have a great A-Z!
    Blessings, Margot

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's great that you are doing this theme! And I love dolma. I'd like to try the Iraqi version :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ghadeer .. dolma look excellent - now cooking them in pomegranate juice sounds delicious ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wet persons never afraid of the rain! Hehe I like that! Never hear those words of wisdom before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The proverbs are amazing. There is so much wisdom throughout the world for those who seek it. This life is for self betterment.
    Love ya x

    ReplyDelete
  16. The mother-in-law forgot she was a daughter-in-law one day! OMG this one, and i cant believe im connecting this-but there was a hindi drama called and Im translating it; 'Because even the mother in law was once a daughter-in-law' LMAO (O_o) and ppl were crazy about it.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *