Friday, April 12, 2013

Day K: Kahramana and Shehrazad

This April, I will be participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge, writing about the A to Z of Iraqi Culture. Do give in your own two cents in the comments below and let me know if you have anything to add or something similar to share from your own culture.

_________________________________________________________________________________



In a drive through the city of Baghdad, the statue of a young girl pouring water into a jar surrounded by forty jars around her will greet you. She is Kahramana, the Baghdadi girl who rescued her father from theft by pouring oil into the jars where she discovered thieves were hiding.

The statue was designed by the artist Mohammed Ghani in the sixties. Another statue designed by the same artist that you will pass by in Baghdad is that of the King Shahryar and his wife, Shehrazad, inspired by a tale from One Thousand and One Nights. Shehrazad cleverly avoids being killed by her husband at night by telling him an exciting story before he sleeps but leaving out the ending for the next morning.





These statues serve as symbols to Iraqi women that they are an important element to the fabric of society.


_______________________________________________________________________________


7 comments:

  1. When I was younger, I had an OBSESSION with One Thousand and One Nights. I would just borrow version after version and devour them, no matter how many times I'd read each story... donno why, but I miss that ^_^

    And that's a sweet reminder ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second statue- beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shehrazad I knew, but Kahramana was a discovery. I think I've heard a story similar to hers, in my childhood. (I like to kid myself that I'm a grown-up, but apparently 16 is a neither-here-nor-there stage in life.)

    Wonderful last line! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great statue. Every woman needs to understand her importance to the fabric of life. I love One thousand and One Nights. I need to tell stories like Shehrazad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Those statues look great. And the story behind them makes them even more valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this leaves me wanting for more! I love how every piece of architecture is somehow connected to culture/religion/tale! You just know there's a story waiting to be explored! It reminds me of this thing called the Chawkhandi Graves in Karachi-which I've been told is a site filled with what are graves(yea, i know O_o) with 4 corner's-which is where it derives its name from..the graves are elevated way above the ground and they're supposedly quite big with intricate carvings and structured so that every area is sectioned into families. It's actually quite a bit of a mystery. But its fascinating-anyway this blogpost reminded me of it!
    I can eat ur words jeejee <3

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *