Thursday, April 18, 2013

Day P: Pomegranates

This April, I will be participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge, writing about the A to Z of Iraqi Culture. Do give in your own two cents in the comments below and let me know if you have anything to add or something similar to share from your own culture.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Iraqis have another name for those crimson red jewels hidden inside a pomegranate. "Habat al janna"- seeds of paradise

They wait fervently for the period they spot the red amongst the pomegranate trees along the road, looking abit like Chinese decorations.

Then they rip them apart and devour the paradise seeds inside.

Or use them to make Shorbat Roumman- pomegranate juice, spiced up with mint and ground beef.

An ample number will be stored to make Rub Rumman out of- pomegranate sauce- a sticky, sweet and sour thing that's an essential ingredient in most stews.

__________________________________________________________________________________

8 comments:

  1. I also have Pomegranates for "P" today! Love your description...
    A month of Blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum I love pomegranate flavored anything! Especially martinis :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pomegranates. There's such a pleasant, tangy flavor to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Habat al janna" Such a wonderful term.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pomegranates ♥ ♥ ♥

    Yum, yum, and yum.

    & 'seeds of paradise' is such a pretty way to describe them, too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I love pomegranates. Used to eat them quite frequently when I lived in England. Not so widely available in Malaysia though :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ghadeer .. commented on two I think, then couldn't comment - now the background jelly beans have come up .. techie things??!!

    I love pomegranates - they are little jewels aren't they .. I had a pomegranate tree in my tiny garden in Johannesburg .. and one time made a dinner with every dish including pomegranates in them .. delicious!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *