Monday, April 22, 2013

Day S: Shako Mako! And warmth-spreaders.

This April, I will be participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge, writing about the A to Z of Iraqi Culture. Do give in your own two cents in the comments below and let me know if you have anything to add or something similar to share from your own culture.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Shako Mako: the exclusive Iraqi way of saying 'What's up?'

__________________________________________________________________________________
                                                                                                                             

This is what Iraqis call Sopa- a reliable device that warms up rooms when winter gets cruel. Not only does it spread warmth, but it's useful to place a tea kettle on top of the Sopa to keep your tea hot. It is also not uncommon for Iraqis to use the Sopa to dry their wet clothes when the electricity's out and there's no other quick alternative!

Most importantly, huddling around a hot Sopa can make even the coldest gatherings warm and cosy.


_______________________________________________________________________________

12 comments:

  1. It's nice how there are multiple uses for this one gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shako mako! I'm so using that. Wait, by exclusive, does that mean only Iraqis can use it? o_o

    & I think my sister would love a Sopa (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shako Mako! My grandkids speak Serbian and I find I have picked up and incorporated some words into my vocabulary.
    Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need a Sopa! Sure would help in the Wild Wyoming Winters! Enjoy the rest o A-Z! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now ain't that nice...Shako Mako sounds so pretty.Like something aborigines would say to each other on birthdays!
    Nice job with the series Ghadeer!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting. Love learning new words and information. In Europe we had something similar called a soba (bet the word traveled all over the place at some point in time, and it got adopted by Europeans).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could use a pot of hot tea today. Very cool sounding name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shako Mako - hey, it rhymes! The multipurpose Sopa seems familiar.... I believe I've seen it in Children of Heaven, which leads to the question: Is the warmth-spreader exclusive to Iraq or is it used in Iran as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea but it's very likely used elsewhere!

      Delete
  9. Shako Mako sounds like a fun word. Sopa looks like Petromax that was used in construction sites late at night when they had to finish off a project in an urgency.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *