Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day T: The tannoor: where the best bread is born

This April, I will be participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge, writing about the A to Z of Iraqi Culture. Do give in your own two cents in the comments below and let me know if you have anything to add or something similar to share from your own culture.




Source
 The traditional clay oven- the tannoor-  is still used in Iraq, by bakeries...and in peoples' homes. What comes out from those ovens is the crispiest and freshest bread ever.


Here's a lucky little boy enjoying some bread fresh from the oven

17 comments:

  1. That looks delicious and you have the most awesome site I've come across. I love the different tiles for the various posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm craving for tandoori roti now! Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh bread from all cultures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fresh baked bread, the smell, the texture and the taste. Add some real butter and it's the perfect meal for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm. Fresh bread sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all them 'tandoors' Pretty much the same things :')

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks different than i imagined it.
    I bet this is an excellent way to bake . . . i wonder if anyone in my area cooks with an oven like this . . . hmmm

    Thank you (again & again!)
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Children the world over love fresh bread, still warm from the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had Iraqi food. It's fun to try other ethnic foods and I wish I knew more people from different countries. I have some friends from Ethiopia that I get to see every few years and I love learning about their culture and trying new things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love flat bread because they're great for dipping into sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It honestly looks like it's made of love ♥ And I swear, Ghadeer, just you looking at all the foody posts on your blog is making me fat ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, so many words are similar between Indian language and Iraqi. We call the Tanoor, the Tandoor. The bread is called Tandoori Roti.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really good stuff. Here in Malaysia we love eating roti canai and roti naan, the latter is cooked in the same way as those in your pictures. Delightful food!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *