Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Day V: Venice of the Middle-East

This April, I will be participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge, writing about the A to Z of Iraqi Culture. Do give in your own two cents in the comments below and let me know if you have anything to add or something similar to share from your own culture.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Today's letter was difficult, mainly because the letter 'V' does not exist in the Arabic language, and I couldn't think of anything Iraqi starting with that letter.

Until I remembered the Venice of the Middle-East: the city of Basra.

Source

The city of Ancient Sumer, birthplace of Sindbad the Sailor and possibly, quite possibly, the Garden of Eden.

_________________________________________________________________________________

10 comments:

  1. That painting....! So beautiful. You know the whole 'you learn something new everyday' thing? I feel like your blog is fulfilling it for me ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gondola in the picture reminds me of the gondola I rode on when we visited Venice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry I haven't visited more often. You have a great theme for this challenge and I will get around to visiting all of your posts soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Something for me to look up - and learn more about -
    What a Treasure you are! Thanks.
    love & love,
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Venice though I've never been to Basra. It does look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous. Basra looks like the place to visit in Irak.

    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not realize that the birthplace of Sindbad is in Iraq ! Wow. The city of Basra is very beautiful. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't know about this place but it has to be really beautful,
    Thanks for sharing.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Basra was the birthplace of Sinbad? This was the ancient city of Sumer? Wow. *filing away info for future use*

    Sorry for the late comment; I was away from home last week and fell back on my A-Z schedule.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *